Saturday, October 27, 2012

Skipping to the Present

Due to the almost four weeks I spent computerless, I have a tough decision to make: do I play catch-up and try to brief my loyal readers on the last month, or do I skip to the present and cut my losses? If I do the former, I'll always be living in the past (which I do enough in a post-diaspora Poland as is). If I do the latter, I don't get to write about the Fulbright Orientation, and the fascinating village of Torun.

So here's my compromise: I'm going to post the 2 articles I do have from that time, and then move to late October. Once I retrieve my old computer and its hard drive, I will send anyone interested our official Fulbright itinerary and my notes from the daily lectures, with topics ranging from Polish Romantic literature, to conspiracies regarding the Smolensk tragedy (the plane crash in Russia that killed the Polish president Lech Kaczynski), to the Open-Gate Sociology Test of Poland, to Optical Tomography techniques and genetic medicine technologies. I have pages and pages of notes, and some of the lectures were absolutely captivating. Others, not so much.

The only events I truly wish I had time to write about are the Malbork Castle and the philharmonic concert in Bydgoszcz. Thankfully, wikipedia has fabulous articles about the castle and the Teutonic Knights, and, as for Bydgoszcz, words always break down at the doors of music anyway.

So onwards we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment