Thursday, October 25, 2012

VIII. Ibis Budget: For tourists and the mentally insane! Book your stay today…

After six long hours swerving around potholes and construction (AKA speeding down a Polish highway), the big red Polski Bus arrived in Warsaw. I grabbed my backpack amongst the bricks of heroin (see previous post) and gestured wildly at a woman until she directed me to the correct tram. Nothing feels quite as rewarding as finding an unfamiliar address in an unfamiliar city, without resorting to a taxi or google maps. So I felt like a boss when I turned the corner and the hotel was looming over me. And even better when I entered the swanky lobby.

Smartly dressed professionals lounged about, arguing politics over martinis and fiddling with their electronics. As I admired the elegance of productivity stewing around me, an uncharacteristically chipper bellhop skipped over and removed my leadened backpack off my shoulders (then containing the weight of a fully functional laptop (::insert keening wail here::)). Delighted at my new lightness, I began to bounce around the lobby in circles singing “I’m like a bird,” followed by some much needed arm flapping. Mid-flap, a woman behind the counter offered me a glass of water. Free water! I snatched the paper cup and downed the sweet liquid before she could change her mind.  She laughed and offered me another glass. I scanned her face, suspicious, but her smile was blank as a Polish bagel. I helped myself to seconds. Thank you, US-Polish Fulbright CommissionWell done. Well done indeed.

Oh, how deep my naivete! What a bottomless, Nietzschean abyss! I soon learned there are two Ibis hotels in Warsaw: Ibis regular and Ibis Budget. Guess which one I stood in as a bellhop struggled with my backpack. Now guess which one the commission assigned to accommodate us. 

Yep.
Free water!


The only kudos I can give Ibis Budget is its capacity for versatility. While Ibis regular can only serve as a comfortable and well-serviced accommodation for travelers, Ibis Diet can act as both hotel and psychiatric institution, which is an admittedly clever business model given the volatility of the current economy and the political history of Poland. After all, if the Soviets do ever return (knock on concrete), Ibis budget will still be running. That’s more than the real Ibis could say. 

So I grabbed a taxi to the other Ibis and checked in with the nurse on duty, who begrudgingly walked me down the ward to my room. 
Ibis Budget: don't be fooled by its cheery and colorful exterior...

The bed had a single, translucently thin sheet folded with hospital corners. The turbid odor of antiseptic spray choked and burned. The lights were broken. When I gestured to the nurse about it, she began maniacally banging the wall, which surprisingly wasn't a mental breakdown, but a moderately effective way to provoke the overhead fluorescent to flicker to life. Unfortunately, however, the spasming light was also accompanied by the most ingratiating buzzing noise. I think it must have been one of those frequencies only heard by those 25 and under they use to prevent loitering in Japan, because while I instantly cupped my hapless ears, she just stared at me, perplexed.  But at least now I could see enough find my way to the toilet, so I ignored her and stepped inside. Once that was accomplished, I immediately banged the wall to shut it off.

All the same, I appreciated anything horizontal after a long day of gooseback riding. I cracked open the starched white wafer over the bed and shimmied myself underneath. I didn’t even take off my socks.

My first night in Warsaw. The start of my Fulbright. And, despite everything, I was feeling good.

Cue music!



No comments:

Post a Comment